Monday, August 10, 2009

Yellowstone, Part 2

And our Yellowstone saga continues. For those of you who are new to the blog, Adam and I took a trip to Yellowstone back in in early July to celebrate our anniversary (a month late) and just to get away. I posted a few photos that you can click here to see, and here are the rest.

We finished up the first day there at Old Faithful. Here we are at a lookout point, Old Faithful is in the background, though it's hard to see.


These cool boardwalks were built everywhere. I thought this might be a fun print to hang somewhere.



As you'll see throughout this post, the wildlife was my favorite part. We did a lot of yelling when we'd sight a deer or bison and then we'd pull off to the side of the road so I could snap a photo. This guy was posing for me.

We found that the best time to see bison was in the mornings. It was too early for this woolly beast, he was still sleeping in amongst the smoking geysers.

We kept getting really excited when we would spot one bison, and then we pulled around a curve and saw a whole herd! Pretty cool.





This was Mammoth Hot Springs. We took our swimsuits along just in case...but apparently we're dumb because it wasn't the kind of springs you swim in. Very sulfur-y. But pretty! We had lunch and mailed a postcard (to our dogs) in this little town. It was really cute and quaint. Then we took a wrong turn when we were leaving and drove about 100 yards into Montana. So now I can say I've been to Montana! :)



This bison was scratching himself on a tree by the side of the road. Another lady stopped to take a picture and was using Adam as a shield, haha.


Please ignore my disgusting hair in these next few photos. It gets progressively worse. :( The wind was wreaking havoc on my hair that day.

You like how I'm wearing a Vail sweatshirt in Yellowstone? Is that blasphemous?

We got to both take our picture with a bison! He was just hanging out, ignoring all the people who were taking photos of him.


As I mentioned, the wind was crazy that day. Adam took video of the massive waves, and I didn't quite capture their enormity, but you can kinda tell. The waves were so big that when they'd hit the shore, they'd splash onto the road and get our car all wet.



These next two were taken on the way out of Yellowstone, back towards our cabin. The land in the distance is the main part of the park.


The morning we were getting ready to leave, this guy showed up on our porch. I don't think he is native to Yellowstone, but I can't be sure. :) I felt bad for him because when you would pat his back, dust would come out, so he seemed homeless. But there was a horse ranch nearby, so maybe that's where he lived. He just laid down on our porch for a belly rub.


We were originally going to break the drive home into two days, but Adam decided to just go for it and drive 24 hours straight. He wouldn't let me drive any of it! He's crazy. Along the way, we stopped in South Dakota at Mt. Rushmore, which was really neat. Although advice if you ever go there: they only take cash and the nearest ATM is like 5 miles away. We learned that the hard way.

And our last fun stop was in the National Badlands. We drove through in the evening, stopped at the only restaurant for hundreds of miles for supper, and then left the Badlands just at sunset.

No comments: